Olugbemi. Adeyinka Ogunleye
2 months ago
Overview
I have no comment on Afe Babalolas forgiveness Dele Farotimi
Lawyer and activist, Dele Farotimi, has said he would not comment on the decision of a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Afe Babalola, to end the criminal defamation and cybercrimes cases against him.
The Nigerian police instituted the charges against Mr Farotimi at Mr Babalola’s instance last year. Mr Babalola said on Sunday that he succumbed to the pleas to have the cases withdrawn following the intervention of the Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi, and some other traditional rulers pleading with him to forgive Mr Farotimi.
Mr Farotimi, 57, was not present at the meeting at Afe Babalola University, Ado Ekiti, on Sunday, where Mr Babalola granted him unconditional forgiveness. However, ever since the news of the forgiveness came to the fore on Monday, Mr Farotimi, usually outspoken, has kept mute and has not spoken about it on his social media handles or YouTube page, where he provided updates about the case with Mr Babalola in the past..
His only Facebook post since the development is a cryptic message shared on Tuesday, offering no clear indication of the possible real-life situation he was referring to. “The good hunting dog is never distracted by the rustling of squirrels in the underbrush..🇳🇬😊,” the post read.
‘No comment’
PREMIUM TIMES contacted Mr Farotimi via a Whatsapp message on Tuesday and his response confirmed that he has been deliberately silent on the report of the forgiveness granted him by Mr Babalola.
“I have no comment on the news,” Mr Farotimi said, in a response to our reporter’s request for comments. Feyisayo Olatunde, Mr Farotimi’s personal assistant, earlier confirmed his principal’s stance when reaching him through telephone was proving difficult.
“He has no plans of holding a press conference on the subject and he is currently not available for interviews,” Mr Olatunde said.